This frittata with ricotta and leafy greens recipe is great for a leisurely weekend brunch. It is low-calorie and high in protein and healthy fats. Plus the delicious frittata requires loads of leafy greens, such as swiss chard, kale or mustard green, which are amongst the healthiest foods you can have as they are all packed full of vitamins A, C and K, and fibre. The addition of fresh herbs in the recipe means it has a healthy dose of antioxidants and flavour!
Ricotta cheese is high in calcium, a must have nutrient for athletes as it helps keep bones strong, preventing injuries. It tends to be lower fat than most other cheese so it’s a perfect addition to the frittata.
The recipe also includes a homemade pesto dressing, combining herbs, pine nuts and olive oil. Whilst the dressing will enhance your meal, it is also full of heart-healthy monosaturated fats. These can also help lower blood cholestrol, stabilize blood sugar levels and aid in blood clotting in case of injury.
As a meal, this frittata and pesto accompaniment would be fantastic for any athlete in training, or if you just want to maintain a balanced diet.
Ingredients to make 8 servings:
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 pound chopped mixed greens (such as kale, Swiss chard, or mustard greens)
- 10 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 plus 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 8 ounces part-skim ricotta
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
To convert cups to grams, please head here.
For the full set of instructions please visit Health.com.